Our dream is to reinvent the social space – make it more efficient, effective and helping corporates point their CSI power in the right direction. We want to scale this idea of connecting skills to needs and use this to make our country a better place.
We’re a proudly “for profit” – and believe in making money and saving the world at the same time. Our primary business model is to sell a white-label version of our platform (that pulls data from the central ecosystem) into corporates as a tool to run their employee volunteering / employee engagement programmes. There are some incredible big data opportunities once we nail down a sexy way to do SaaS.
We need a Head of Development to take over dev from our long time outsourced partners. We need you to build and manage a tech team with the help of our Product Manager and CEO. We need you to iterate our platform at speed and create the sexiest product that the social sector has ever seen.
Go watch this. If it lights a fire in your head and heart, read on… https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_the_way_we_think_about_charity_is_dead_wrong
YOUR DREAM? To work in a fast, free, creative “startup” environment. We have a great culture – obsessed with delivery and getting shit done, empowering our staff, failing fast, experimenting and generally just being rad...
You want to build your own team: to hire, fire, love, mentor and ass kick your staff into a slick unit. You want to build amazing products and figure out how to scale a SaaS solution across 100k+ staff members in corporate SA.
You want to learn quickly, work fast, think big, iterate, be lean, prove yourself, leave ego at the door. You want to run a stable product and build simple and transparent dev processes – push technology and dev outputs to be the best they can be.
You’d like to make a difference in this crazy world of ours.
● Transition from our outsourced dev partners to internal dev competency over a 3-6 month period.
● Run the show - with the support of a dedicated Product Manager and our CEO (who knows enough about dev to be dangerous).
● Over the transition period, you’ll also have the support of our outsourced team (Tech Lead, 2 Senior Devs, Front End, UX, QA and Project Manager).
● Implement, execute and improve on current dev and project management processes.
● Get your hands dirty. You’ll need to push code, debug and deploy. This isn’t a “delegation” role where you’ll have other people to do the work for you – but do it right and you’ll have the opportunity to build your own team as the business scales. Your first hire will be a mid-senior dev and front-end dev to complete your initial team.
● Enable continuous (i.e. bloody often) product iteration and deployment.
● Implement best practice hardware and software monitoring.
● Continuously optimise server infrastructure (our BizSpark Plus sponsorship is ending and our server bill is looking ouch).
● Create and build our dev culture. Expensive earphones, gaming keyboards, hackathons, WoW (old skool is kool), pizza, Red Bull, code reviews, industry networking, cross-company collaboration and all that good stuff that many people think only happens in Silicon X.
● Be committed to transformation.
● Slack, JIRA, GA, GTM and some other staples will be under your bench.
Qualifications and experience required
● Tertiary Qualification (BSc / BCom etc.). If you don’t have one – tell us why it isn’t important…
● You need to love all the new toys and want to play with them. Proven history developing cutting edge web and mobile stuff.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NOW.
Ping us. Send CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we like – we’ll do coffee (we have close ties to Bean There so our coffee is exotic, African and awesome) and a HackerRank test.
Start: as soon as possible.
Salary: market rates. We hate the fact that just because people want to do something socially meaningful, many think they should earn less. Be prepared to earn every penny of your salary – but we’ll pay you properly.