Our dream is to reinvent the social sector – make it more efficient, effective and help corporates point their CSI power in the right direction. We want to create real change by taking our simple concept of creating value through social interactions (we’re like online dating for people that want to do good) – and getting it to serious scale.
We’re a proudly “for profit” – and believe in making money and saving the world at the same time. Our primary business model is to sell a customised white-label version of our platform into corporates as a tool to run their employee volunteering programmes.
We need a Product / Project Manager to love, hug, cuddle and beat our product into a constantly improving state. You’ll be in charge of technical project management, product design, spec’ing, priority, liaising with the development team, user acceptance testing and analytics across the business.
Go watch this. If it lights a fire in your head and heart, read on. If it doesn’t, this isn’t for you.
Then read the following make doubly sure you’re this person:
YOU MUST WANT: To work in a tech startup environment? We have a great “startup” culture – obsessed with delivery and getting shit done, playing to our strengths and having fun. You must want to build amazing products. You must get jealous of all that Silicon Valley magic going around and think - WE CAN DO THIS IN SOUTH AFRICA - we’re just not going to be American about it. We’re going to be AFRICAN about it.
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO: Learn quickly, work fast, think big, iterate, be lean, prove yourself, leave ego at the door. Product Managers need to be OBSESSED with the little things, OBSESSED with delivery of their project to deadlines and standards. You need to keep all the balls in the air without losing your cool. You need to understand and LOVE building digital products in the web and mobile space.
YOU MUST: Commit. We’re not going to sink blood, sweat, tears, time and champagne (our celebration method of choice currently) into someone who’s going to ditch when things get hard. You’re in this for 2 years+ or you’re not in it at all.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO DO:
Own the PRODUCT DESIGN and technical PROJECT MANAGEMENT process. What should our product do, what shouldn’t it do, manage the balance between what we like to call BIF (Bugs vs Improvements vs Features).
- Develop and manage a product roadmap including constant ticket prioritisation.
- Translate requirements into user journeys, wireframes and sketch designs for smooth, buttery and sexy user experiences
- Workshop requirements with development team in planning sessions.
- Clearly spec tickets into JIRA for our development team to action. This requires 50% imagination and 50% absolute attention to detail.
- Prepare and track project plan, project risk and decisions logs and communicate project progress regularly.
- Manage User Acceptance Testing. You’ll need to have a nose for UX and a love of making sure every little itty bit of the system is working like it should. and remains a smooth, buttery and intuitive experience for our users.
- Manage budget, recon and payments.
ANALYTICS. Create, manage and constantly improve our product performance metrics. This means everything from Google Analytics and Social Media Analytics to site monitoring tools and Azure App Analytics. You need to LOVE STATS. Measurement drives everything we do from a product design point of view.
- Know the difference between actionable metrics and vanity metrics (if you don’t, read the Lean Startup quickly). That’s how we remain clever and try avoid knee-jerk product and project decisions.
- Own the product growth process. This presents an opportunity to work with, manage and measure our paid media agency and incorporate PR initiatives that drive adoption in both consumer and business markets.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Degree (it shows you can commit to something). If you don’t have a degree, you’d better have an awesome story of something better you did in those 3-5 years.
- 4-6 years experience in digital.
- MUST have significant and interesting project / product management experience.
- Experience in Product Management required. You must have worked with digital products in some way, contributed to a team, built a product, tested a product, ran projects, been irritated by various project management methodologies and learnt how to use them efficiently - we need to see that you live, eat, sleep and breathe digital products.
- You need to know what the following is all about: JIRA, Slack, Google Tag Manager, Google Analytics, Conversion Tracking & Methodology, UTM tagging, Kanban vs AGILE vs Waterfall (or our favourite, the currently bastardised WAGILE that creeps up on us from time to time)...
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NOW
Don’t just send your CV. We don’t believe most of the CVs we see anyway. And nothing irritates us more than the 1-click-apply-to-everything culture of today. We need MORE. Anyone who just sends a CV gets junk mailed. We need to know WHY you are right for this. WHY you have the experience. WHY you have the attitude.
- Go find out who we are. Google us. Social stalk us. Read our press. Go deep. Do you dream what we dream? WHY?
- Go look at our product, our tech, our UX. Write down 3 things that you love about the product and write down 3 things that you would change immediately.
- What digital products have been involved with in the past? What was your greatest product success and greatest product failure? No more than a paragraph...
- Only then send us your CV.
Send your answers here: andy at forgood dot co dot za
Salary: Market rates. We hate the fact that just because people want to do something socially meaningful, many think they should earn less. Be prepared to earn every 24c (which is like every penny) of that market rate salary though!